Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I can't Sleep!!

Have you ever had those nights where you wake up to pee like 3 times... toss and turn ALL night and your mind just takes over. This is me tonight. Actually lately lots of night. What is going on is is a full moon.

Well tonight all I could think about was this book I was reading by Sherry L Dew and the chapter is "THIS IS ONLY A TEST" - I look at my life and others lives and just don't understand some of the trials we have been put thru and the pain that comes with it. Yet lately i'm seeing the rewards of some of the trials that my family has endured. There really is light at the end of the tunnel....If that makes sense. This is a quote out of the book that I really liked.


" President George Q. Cannon -No Matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, GOD will never desert us. He never has , and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not his character. He is an unchangeable being, the same yesterday, the same today, and he will be the same throughout the eternal ages to come.. we may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from ALL the trials and difficulties the better and purer for them, if we only trust in our God and keep his commandments. THIS LIFE IS A TEST, BUT ONLY A TEST!."

Then of course they have the scripture 2 Nephi 2:11 "it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things, if not so ... righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holines nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one".

It is interesting to me how when the trials seem the hardest for me it is hard to turn to the lord, and I have questioned my faith and asked why before not understanding the tragic and sad times...and then as I continued to read the next paragraph said:
Each experience with the Savior leads to greater faith, and as our faith increases, our vision of and confidence about who we are grows clearer. Satan whispers that life's not fair and would have us question the gospel. Bad things shouldn't happen to good members of the church, should they? Well the answer reads: The gospel isn't a guarantee against tribulation. This would be like a test with no questions. Rather, the gospel is a GUIDE for maneuvering through the challanges of life with a sense of purpose and direction. The lord feels all of our cries and saddness.

I remember a special friend told me that our religion is based on faith and that is the only thing we have to go on. Working thru sadness and trials and having faith that is will be o.k. Wow! Along with faith we are given the Holy Ghost and D&C 11:13: "just one of the many gifts that the Holy Ghost provides he - inspires tenderness and humility strengthens us during trials and brings comfort and peace; enhances any natural abilites we have, helps us obey, enlightens our minds and fills our soul with joy. The presence of this gift if foundational to our faith. So when I read this chapter it just made sense, it just all came together.

The end of the chapter it said - More than ever before the lord needs our faith and faithfulness, our viality and ingenuity, our unwavering commitement and conviction. We are witnesses of the lord Jesus Christ, the living capstone of all that has come before us and and VITAL link to all that lies ahead... yes this life is a test, It is also a glorious privilege.

Kind of alot... sorry... So that what was on my mind... I guess I can go to sleep now... my mind is clear. (thanks Emily for suggesting the book) :)

4 comments:

Keri said...

Alicia, that sounds like a fantastic book. What's it called? Sounds really amazing! I hope you got a little bit of sleep.

JoyRGardner@gmail.com said...

Wow, thank you for those thoughts and your testimony on having faith while we endure trials. I love and admire you so.

Lacy said...

Very well said- and so true. You have so much empathy for people Alicia. Thank you for your example and your friendship!

Heidi said...

You are such an inspiration Alicia...I adore you - thanks for the perspective!!